At Cisco Meraki, we know that technology can connect, empower, and drive us. Our mission is to simplify technology so our customers can focus on what's most meaningful to them: their students, patients, customers, and businesses. We’re making networking easier, faster, and smarter with technology that simply works.
As a member of our embedded platform team, this person will focus on delivering high-quality fixes for regressions and customer issues with our products, liaising with our Product Management, Support, and Release Engineering teams to target the most important issues of the day. This individual will identify and eliminate technical debt and code smells, allowing our bring-up engineers to quickly release our newest platforms to customers. With millions of people using Meraki products around the world, your work will have a significant impact from the day it is deployed.
An Embedded Platform Engineer will:
- Investigate and resolve product and platform defects. Write unit or integration tests to prevent issues from happening again.
- Scope, design, and implement tools for improving the serviceability of Meraki platforms.
- Integrate vendor board support packages and software development kits.
- Port, debug, and characterize Linux device drivers.
- Collaborate with other Platform Engineers across product teams to continually improve our firmware design, development, and deployment practices.
We are looking for:
- 3+ years professional experience programming in C or C++.
- Strong systems and networking foundational knowledge (systems architecture, memory hierarchy, storage subsystems, LANs, routing).
- Expertise in embedded systems development concepts, including cross-platform development and build tools (GNU toolchain, OpenWRT, buildroot, Yocto), bootloaders (U-Boot, coreboot, UEFI), kernel configuration, device drivers, device trees.
- Are comfortable using network protocol analyzers, logic analyzers, hardware debuggers, and source-level debuggers to tackle problems at all layers of the stack.
- Have experience reading schematics and data sheets.
Bonus points for:
- Upstreaming Linux patches.
- Experience with Ethernet switch chips, crypto acceleration, or hardware offload engines.
We encourage you to drop us a line even if you don’t have all the points above. That's a lot of different areas of responsibility! We will help you pick them up because we believe that great engineers come from diverse backgrounds.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.