At Cisco Meraki, we know that technology can connect, empower, and drive us. Our mission is to simplify technology so our customers can focus on what's most meaningful to them: their students, patients, customers, and businesses. We’re making networking easier, faster, and smarter with technology that simply works.
The modern world runs on the internet, and the internet cannot exist without its underlying infrastructure. Meraki makes setting up, managing, and maintaining that infrastructure easier than it has ever been before. Meraki enables connectivity everywhere from neighborhood cafes to education institutions to global hospitality groups operating thousands of sites.
About the team:
You will join the MX Engineering team that is responsible for MX-platforms, SDWAN, security, routing, and cellular technology products. Our products are used in over a million network nodes and our customers rely on our products to serve tens of millions of people. With the large footprint that we have, quality is our highest priority. Meraki MX team is responsible for delivering simple to use but very powerful, scalable, and groundbreaking cloud-managed appliances to customers.
As a Software Forwarding Engineer on the MX team, you will initially focus on delivering high-quality fixes for regressions and customer issues with our Security and SD-WAN device firmware. You identify and eliminate technical debt and code smells, accelerating the release of our latest features to customers. As you mature in your knowledge of our codebase, you will be responsible for improving and re-architecting existing components and subsystems, as well as developing new features to support the future growth of the product, both in terms of functionality, simplicity, scalability, and availability. Our projects are driven by technological innovation and developer creativity in addition to market demands, giving you the structure and freedom to pursue projects you are most passionate about. You’ll have the opportunity to work across teams to design features and systems to solve complex problems for our customers. With millions of people using Meraki products around the world, your work will have a significant impact from the day it is deployed.
This role needs a very experienced, hands-on, and hardworking engineer who can improve the current design.
We are looking for:
- Fluency in C/C++
- 2+ years of working experience in one or more areas: data plane forwarding, control-plane configuration, signaling for embedded routing, or SD-WAN products
- Contribution in the last 1+ years in routing data plane and hands-on experience with routing product
- Knowledge of L2/L3 packet processing
- Understanding or experience of L4 to L7 services (like load balancing flows, firewall, IPSec VPN, NAT, IPv6, remote access, and various tunneling protocols), architectures, and algorithms
- Experience writing Linux user and kernel code for high-performance fabrics, I/O devices
- A focused, organized approach to development, testing, troubleshooting, and quality
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team
- Good communication skills and experience working with cross-functional teams
Bonus points for:
- Good understanding of VPP or CLICK data plane
- Understanding of network security fundamentals
- Experience with Yocto, Jenkins, and Git
We encourage you to drop us a line even if you don’t have all the points above. That's a lot of different areas of responsibility! We will help you pick them up because we believe that great engineers come from diverse backgrounds.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.